Thursday, July 11, 2013

Lead, follow or get out of the way

A couple weeks ago I had a discussion about what it takes to be a great leader. One blog I read suggested that we're all naturally born leaders and that as we grow we develop traits that eventually hinder us from fully reaching our leadership potential.

I didn't necessarily agree with this theory at first, but the more I thought about it, the more it starts to make sense. I've always considered myself a great follower. I have all the necessary traits needed to be a great follower. I'm usually an attentive listener, I take direction well and I follow through on orders. But who's to say those traits wouldn't also make me a great leader?

I think we all have to know our role in life, but stepping out of traditional roles and feeling uncomfortable is a challenge these days. We live in a world where social anxiety gets treated with prescriptions. I think we all need to put down the bottle of pills and feel uncomfortable now and then. I mean, you're not supposed to enter a room full of strangers and feel totally comfortable, are you?

I think a true leader is able to motivate and inspire others to get things done. We all know a few people who are good at that. Personally, I have a hard enough time motivating and inspiring myself to get things done.

I also think a big part of being a leader is creating opportunities to let leadership emerge. If we never put ourselves in situations that allow us to be great leaders then those traits will never blossom and flourish.

I think we should all challenge ourselves to step out of traditional roles and lead more. If not leading others, then simply start by motivating and inspiring ourselves to tackle new and exciting ventures in life. It could be fun...:)


No comments:

Post a Comment